D - more power than (really) needed !

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Mar 10 09:14:04 PST 2006

David Medlock wrote:

> Outside of simple Shape examples in textbooks, implementation
> inheritance has largely been a failure for reusable or easy to maintain
> code.  OOP is supposed to be about black box reusability of objects,ie.
> components but then its main claim to fame is a way to break that
> abstraction.

Inheritance isn't even much of a problem so long as the trees remain
very shallow, but things tend to fall apart beyond that.  I think it
says something about the deep inheritance model that the design work is
usually done via an external tool such as UML.  Also, I believe that it
should be possible to figure out what's going on through code
inspection, and complex object hierarchies make this extremely difficult.

Sean