NDim-slicing

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Fri Mar 10 09:55:04 PST 2006

Perhaps I'm missing the boat, or maybe its just that long since you posted the
original NDim array proposal, but what were the advantages to adding NDim arrays
in D?

The reason why I ask is that aside from using rectangular arrays for the
purposes of reducing computational and storage overhead, for very specific tasks
(bitmap manipulation and matrices come to mind), the current soluiton in D works
quite well.  After all, it doesn't get any more simple, reliable and easy to
implement than limiting every array to exactly one dimension.  It's also quite
elegant in that by disallowing rectangular arrays, the problems with wielding
all of the variations in slicing and indexing become far less bothersome: this
last fact is unintentionally implied by your most recent post.

I'm genuinely curious since you've obviously put a lot of effort behind all
this, and I'm very much in the dark as to why.  Could you please enlighten me?
:)

Thanks,

- EricAnderton at yahoo