Can GC be beneficial - Thread.

Mike Capp mike.capp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 11:47:49 PST 2006

In article <dusjqh$24jq$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...

>>I think the one language that can be used to assess a combo of GC,
>>efficiency goals, and deterministic finalization is D.
>
>I'd agree, except that D does not have deterministic finalization. Far from it.

Sure it does. Old-style "auto". It's very limited compared to C++'s
deterministic finalization, but in some ways that's the point. It forces users
to find out the hard way whether or not that level of support is enough.

As a guinea-pig language, I think the bigger worry is people drawing premature
conclusions from the not-especially-optimized state of D's current GC.

cheers,
Mike