[RFC] "lock" statement and "mutex" type.

Dejan Lekic dejan at nu6.org
Tue Mar 14 15:28:16 PST 2006

Hi Sean,
yes, i did not think about acquisition with a timeout maybe following syntax
change is what we would like to have:
lock (<mutex variable>[, timeout])

You understood everything else. My was plain simple trylock. Following code
is an example of code without try:

lock (myMutex) // blocks calling thread
{
  doSomething();
}

as we slightly changed the main idea (from my previous post), we could have
something like:

lock (myMutex, 1000) // blocks calling thread for 1 second
{                    // if mutex "myMutex" is not unlocked during that time
  doSomething();     // it will exit the lock() block and execute continue()
}                    // function.
continue();

Regards