Interesting language comparison article [OT]

Hasan Aljudy hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 21:37:07 PST 2006

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Hasan Aljudy" <hasan.aljudy at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:dv84il$1q3l$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>
>>Stick to the tab key all you want. I want to kill the ascii code for the
>>"so called" tab character!!
>

> I never understood this whole hard-tab-hating stuff.  Everything lines up on
> nice neat columns, they can be set to whatever width you want, and it's much
> quicker to move through them using the arrow keys.  What's so great about
> spaces?

Tabs are a bit inconsistent.

They are, as you say, a bit costumizable, but the result is that they're
also not "portable"!
They aren't reliable for text layout. When you write a piece of code
that uses tabs and try to insert it in forums (I mean real forums, not
NGs), they won't always look like what you expect.

Plus the python problem mentioned above!

I think "tabbing" is a kind of a high level concept, shouldn't be
implemented in ascii. Just like "bold", "italics", and "underline"
aren't implemented in ascii.