Interesting language comparison article [OT]

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Mar 14 22:08:52 PST 2006

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Hasan Aljudy" <hasan.aljudy at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:dv84il$1q3l$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>> Stick to the tab key all you want. I want to kill the ascii code for the
>> "so called" tab character!!
>
> I never understood this whole hard-tab-hating stuff.  Everything lines up on
> nice neat columns, they can be set to whatever width you want, and it's much
> quicker to move through them using the arrow keys.  What's so great about
> spaces?

Look at some code that was written with different tab settings from
yours.  Now have someone else who uses the "tabs to spaces" setting make
some changes and look at it again.  Things get jumbled enough if people
only indent standard code lines, but if they're trying to line up
declarations or functions parameters or whatever as well, this process
can quickly produce unreadable formatting.

Sean