Interesting language comparison article

Kyle Furlong kylefurlong at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 02:30:26 PST 2006

Hasan Aljudy wrote:
> Kyle Furlong wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote:
>>
>>> It's an interesting article with some quotable tidbits, but that the
>>> author ended by praising Ruby with such enthusiasm made me skeptical
>>> of his earlier claims.  I also thought it was a bit odd that his
>>> section on Lisp was really a section on Emacs.  About the only
>>> conclusion I could draw is that "Emacs is awesome and the tool of
>>> uber gurus, and Emacs is tightly integrated with Lisp, therefore Lisp
>>> is uber cool but also only for uber-gurus."  And even that's a stretch.
>>>

>>> Sean
>>

>> Emacs is extremely difficult to grok for someone brought up in the RAD
>> era.
>>
>> It gives me a headache trying to use it "like a guru"
>>
>> :-P
>
> Real "gurus" don't need computers; they carry everything in their
> head!!! /sarcasm
>
> Seriously, why does relying on old technology makes a person a "guru"?

Actually, that wasn't my point at all. Editing text in Emacs is, once learned, many times faster than "normal" text editing. My
point was that this method of editing takes much practice and latent skill to master. Yes Emacs is old, but old does not mean
outdated or less useful, in this case it means (almost) bug free.