auto -> auto & var

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Fri Mar 17 12:03:39 PST 2006

Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
> Here's what I hate about var: I use JavaScript a lot (this happens when
> you make interactive websites for a living.)  What do you mean, that's
> not a reason?
>
> Sure it is.  In JavaScript and other scripting languages, this would be
> valid:
>
> var x;
>
> // Okay, let's make it an array!
> x = new Array(1, 2, 3);
>
> // Actually, you know what, I take that back.
> x = "1,2,3";
>
> // Come to think, this might be better...
> x = {0: 1, 1: 2, 2: 3};
>
> // No, no, actually it just needs one.  How clueless of me.
> x = 1;

Breaking the unfortunate "auto" into two separate words would be very
good. But like you say, "var" may not be a good candidate. Especially
when a change in the language should strive to _improve_ it, and not
merely substitute one problem for another.

Ideally a programming language should be readable without having to
think and remember stuff (that has with the language itself to do). All
the needed mental gymnastics should pertain to the source code itself
and its semantics. Not to those of the language.

<stab> If we wanted to save keywords, we could surely find lots of other
places where we could use the same word for different things, without it
becoming awkward for the compiler. But so far we haven't done that. It
would be just dumb. </stab>