Fascinating new switch mechanism in assembler (jump table)

Dan Lewis Dan_member at pathlink.com
Sat Mar 18 02:31:35 PST 2006

>Sounds like you're describing a Jump Table.  Here's a PDF I dug up on
>the subject:
>http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/muellren/sysprog/ws05/session2-ifwd42rm2.pdf
>

>Sean

Oh.  I figured it was a little too simple to be a new idea.  From the material
I've read on the 'net, I'm getting the idea that I should let the 128 bytes sit
there to avoid the unpredictable branch; but that my jump table is otherwise
alot faster than what most C compilers would generate.  : )

I was thinking I might be able to squeeze an extra few cycles out of each
character if I knew what I was doing... but I'll save that for version 1.0.