More power than needed ... OOP to Don Clugston

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Sat Mar 18 02:54:21 PST 2006

BLS wrote:
> Hi Don,
> okay, now I understand what you mean. Takes a while. You may have noticed
> <g> that english is not my favourite language.

I know the feeling. I'm an expat myself, and don't speak the local
language (German) as well as I'd like... Your English is about 100 times
better than my German.

> GoF.
> Yes of course, I know about it. I read Bruce Eckel s Thinking in Pattern and
> Prof. Moessenboek OOP in Oberon 2 instead because I have heard that GoF
> Design Patterns is a bit too theoretical. Can you confirm ? Or will you say
> it is a "You need it" book ?

Well, GoF was the book that launched the Patterns movement, everyone
quotes it all the term and uses terminology from it. A lot of the code
in it isn't spectacularly good, and parts of the book seem a bit clumsy,
but it was certainly groundbreaking. So, it's true that it's too
theoretical, but I think it's still probably a 'you need it on your
shelf' book. At least, you need a good idea of what's in it.