D vs Java

Andrew Fedoniouk news at terrainformatica.com
Sat Mar 18 13:25:32 PST 2006

"Walter Bright" <newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:dvhohr$asa$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> I'm no expert on Java programming, but I get this question a lot: "What
> compelling reason does D have that would entice a Java programmer to
> switch to D?"
>
> I know several of you have come to D from Java, and are expert Java
> programmers, so you folks' reasons would be very valuable.

They are not strictly comparable to be honest.
E.g. Java programmer doing server side stuff will not switch to D.
Completely different execution models.

Such switch makes more sense for GUI Java programmers (client side):

0) D application does not require JRE (java runtime) to be installed on
client machine.
1) D allows to write Java code and at the same time to write code hidden
behind JNI - a.k.a native.
    Thus you don't need two completely different environments.
2) D is natively compileable, has structures and compile time templates (vs
runtime generics).
3) If someone will forget his/her Java background then he/she will be able
to write code which will execute
    way faster than Java code.

Andrew.