D vs Java

Jim Miller gordon.j.miller at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 16:01:09 PST 2006

On 3/18/06, Walter Bright <newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> I'm no expert on Java programming, but I get this question a lot: "What
> compelling reason does D have that would entice a Java programmer to
> switch
> to D?"
>
> I know several of you have come to D from Java, and are expert Java
> programmers, so you folks' reasons would be very valuable.

1) Native binaries
2) Garbage collection
3) Module system

I've programmed quite a bit of Java over the past 12 years but most of my
Java programming is server side, non-gui, non-web applications.  Attempting
to do supervised management of Java programs as daemons is very difficult
(how do I ensure my application is running?) without having to roll in the
Java Management extensions which just bloats my code.