D vs Java

Kyle Furlong kylefurlong at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 00:28:39 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> I'm no expert on Java programming, but I get this question a lot: "What
> compelling reason does D have that would entice a Java programmer to switch
> to D?"
>
> I know several of you have come to D from Java, and are expert Java
> programmers, so you folks' reasons would be very valuable.

I came from C#, so I think the same reasons should be valid.

D is:
	Native (Speed!) (This is the primary reason to switch for me)
	Garbage Collected (although, this is a must)
	Simple
	Powerful
	Modern

C is not:
	Garbage Collected
	Modern (Preprocessor? You gotta be kidding.)
	Powerful

C++ is not:
	Garbage Collected (out of the box)
	Simple
	Modern

Interpreted (Ruby, Perl, etc.) are not:
	Native

D is the best suited language for my purposes. That said:

C# is:
	All about the LIBRARIES

D is not:
	All about the LIBRARIES

So, if we could get a standard library as extensive and well written as the .NET libraries, D would be the ideal language in my
opinion.