D vs Java

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Mar 19 02:18:43 PST 2006

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

>>I don't agree about GUI - Java GUI (Swing) is very strong. There is no
>>comparable alternative in D (yet). Don't tell me about DWT. ;)
>
> There are no real GUI Applications using Swing either :)

Is that like how the Java CLI applications aren't "real" programs ?
If they work OK, does it *really* matter if it's virtual or native ?

If you wanted a Java/Swing application to be "more native", couldn't
you just compile it with GCJ/SWT and keep the same APIs in the code ?

I think Swing makes perfect sense for the default interface of Java,
and it's actually SWT that is the "strange one" in my own book :-)

Could be just because I originally learnt it in that way, of course...
 From what I see in the current SWT it has come a very long way since.

--anders