D vs Java

james james_member at pathlink.com
Sun Mar 19 06:02:08 PST 2006

I picked up Java because C++ was rich but had to much complexity.
Java was simple and had good support for "programming in the large" with jars
and packages.

But Java is too simple ... and quite dull.  And relies on a fat VM.

D makes the same tradeoffs as Delphi - a fast compiled language with pointers
available if you want them. And modules!

Also there seems to be two major approaches to app development emerging:
Java/c# and a virtual machine
VS
c/c++/D and scripting languages like ECMAScript, Python, Lua.

I think the latter is the way to go. And the fact that DMDScript(ie ECMAScript)
is written in D is great.