D vs Java

Andrew Fedoniouk news at terrainformatica.com
Sun Mar 19 09:27:37 PST 2006

"U.Baumanis" <U.Baumanis_member at pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dvjhl2$fks$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> In article <dvitlk$2848$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew Fedoniouk says...
>>
>>> I don't agree about GUI - Java GUI (Swing) is very strong. There is no
>>> comparable alternative in D (yet). Don't tell me about DWT. ;)
>>
>>There are no real GUI Applications using Swing either :)
>>
>>So score: 1:1.
>>
>>Your turn.
>>
>>Andrew.
>>
> Well, there are hundreds of Java/Swing applications. :)
> Take a look at http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/sightings/

I knew that you will show me this page.

You've missed capital letter A in Applications.

How to explain what I mean?

Well, the most popular Java IDEs were built on
everything but not Swing.
I think this fact can be an illustration of what I mean.

Swing is a child of academic development and is primarily
used in univercities for educational purposes.
Swing is conceptually best toolkit - classical I would say.
But only in theory, practical implementation is far from ideal - to heavy
to be used in real life.

About Java GUI practical implementation:

Here is my proof of concept:
http://www.terrainformatica.com/org/j-smile/index.htm
This is my JavaVM running typical GUI tasks.
System of classes of this micro GUI  is close to Swing
Even this small example shows that Java could run GUI
successfully but for some reasons nobody really wants Java GUI.

BTW: It would be interesting to implement JavaVM in D.

> Yes, Swing has steep learning curve, but it is well designed and very
> flexible.
> Actually it is my choice Nr.1 for GUI apps and I would like to have
> something
> similar in D standard library (?may be based on Cairo graphics?). People
> who
> thinks that Java/Swing is too slow reads Slashdot too much or probably
> tryed
> Java in last centuary. ;)
> Another think what I really miss in D is a JDBC's type interface to
> databases.
> On the other hand D is small, compact, powerful, has better interface to C
> and
> somehow gives again good feeling like in old C days. :)
>
> Absence of IDE for D is not so big problem as lack of good standard
> libraries
> (gui, db, comm, etc.) And this is one thing what keeps D off of using in
> big
> projects. You cannot fully concentrate on problem domain.

I am using VS6 for D. Not ideal but pretty sufficient.

Andrew.