D vs Java

Tom ihate at spam.com
Sun Mar 19 16:00:00 PST 2006

U.Baumanis escribió:
> In article <dvk4a7$1utv$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew Fedoniouk says...
>> "U.Baumanis" <U.Baumanis_member at pathlink.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, there are hundreds of Java/Swing applications. :)
>>> Take a look at http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/sightings/
>> I knew that you will show me this page.
>>
>> You've missed capital letter A in Applications.
>>
>> How to explain what I mean?
>>
>> Well, the most popular Java IDEs were built on
>> everything but not Swing.
>> I think this fact can be an illustration of what I mean.
>
> Well, Netbeans one of most popular Java IDE built on Swing.
>

>> Swing is a child of academic development and is primarily
>> used in univercities for educational purposes.
>> Swing is conceptually best toolkit - classical I would say.
>> But only in theory, practical implementation is far from ideal - to heavy
>> to be used in real life.
>
> I use Swing daily to write applications. They are fast, responsive, easy to
> maintain, and clients don't have any issues with speed. :)
> It is really conceptually very good and speed is the last thing to chose D (with
> DWT?) over Java/Swing. Well, I am not OS/kernel developer. :)

:0
What!? Speed IS a known issue the same as it is memory consumption. If
there is speedy apps written in Java, then those are the least. Or at
most, to write quick apps in Java is pretty difficult.
Maybe I have the wrong impression but there has been hundreds of
_desktop apps_ I've reviewed and 95% of them are just *slow*.