D vs Java

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Mar 20 10:34:42 PST 2006

james wrote:
>> I agree. The job of the operating system is to sandbox processes so that
>> when one dies, it is isolated from all the others, which it does a
>> reasonably good job doing (but it could do better). The CPU hardware
>> certainly is set up to support this. You can even run Windows entirely in a
>> virtual machine!
>
> The real test of a language/technology is "eating your own dogfood". And its
> interesting to note that MS seem to be pulling back abit from putting the clr
> very deep into the os. Rather .net classes are just wrappers for c++. A much
> better approach is D plus DMDScript.

According to Herb Sutter, MS is pushing C++/CLI as *the* language to
write .NET code in.  I suppose its rather unique ability to combine
managed and unmanaged code in a single assembly has turned out to be
more useful than originally anticipated.  So this seems to lend credence
to the claim that Windows isn't going to turn into a pure .NET VM any
time soon.  It's almost too bad, as I'm still hoping for an undeniable
reason to drop Windows for an alternative OS ;-)

Sean