D vs Java

tjohnson tjohnson
Mon Mar 20 21:36:27 PST 2006

In article <dvo182$1vl4$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Hasan Aljudy says...

>Walter Bright wrote:
>> These are a lot of very interesting observations that never occurred to me.
>>
>> Are you teaching D as a first language, or just thinking about it?
>>

>I think D would make a perfect first language.
>All we need is for the compiler to silently insert "import std.stdio;"
>
>And .. a book, of course!

I bet most people would think that would be ok as long as there was a compiler
switch to disable it.

I too think that D would be a great first language.  I learned Pascal when
getting my CIS degree and loved it.  How in the world do you teach pointers and
trees and other such structures using Java?.

My nine year old son is learning VB, but maybe I should switch him over to D.
We are writing a puzzle game together and it looks like either DWT or DFL are
far enough along to do the GUI parts.  In a couple of years he will probably be
out programming me.  Kids suck up information like a sponge.

Oh, yea.   I too like the   :D  symbol....especially in reversed text.

Tom J