D vs Java

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Mon Mar 20 22:25:26 PST 2006

Here is about the only point at which I disagree.  I learned QuickBASIC
as my very first language, back quite some years ago.

Today I have a rather low opinion of that language and of BASIC in
general.  Really, a bias.  I learned a lot of things back then - memory
management (64k of string memory was rough), how great XMS used to be,
why Assembler rocked, what the use of optimization was, etc.

My "mother tongue" in programming is nothing like QuickBASIC.  I tried
to program some in it recently, and ASP more recently, and it was slow
goings.  C is what I really latched onto.  Perl, PHP, C++, D, and other
languages all feel the same.

Even so, I think QuickBASIC was a good first language for me.  I'm not
comparing it to D here, but I'm just saying that the first language and
the "mother tongue" language need not be the same.

In other words, even for Java programmers... learning D first might be
better.  Then again, they might not ever actually be able to become Java
programmers after that.

Still, having trials and tribulations... having to deal with limitations
that suck, speed that is second rate... it helps.  I work in interactive
media, and the good Flash/ActionScript programmers are often those who
had to deal with Flash 5, from what I've seen.  Flash 5 was slow.  Flash
5 was limited.  Flash 8 is so much better.  But Flash 5 taught you what
not to do.

Just my opinion.

-[Unknown]