D vs Java

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Mar 21 01:08:49 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:

> Hmm. Compared with D "Hello World", I'm getting worried.

D programs are bigger than C and Java, but smaller than C++ ?
Here are some old Hello test results I had: (on Mac OS X 10.3)

31b     hello.sh (script)
Hello, World!
         0.01 real         0.00 user         0.00 sys

  12K    hello_c (executable)
Hello, World!
         0.03 real         0.00 user         0.00 sys

368K    hello_cpp (including libstdc++)
Hello, World!
         0.09 real         0.00 user         0.02 sys

104K    hello_d (including Phobos)
Hello, World!
         0.04 real         0.01 user         0.01 sys

637b    hello.jar (archive)
Hello, World!
         0.66 real         0.38 user         0.19 sys

Results for C, C++, D, Java 1.4 and Bourne Shell respectively...
If the Java runtime comes with the system, Java's really small !
(then again, it's also the far slowest to start up and execute
which makes it less suitable for small programs like this one)

BTW:
Having a programming language that needs separate compilation
as a first language is pretty mean I think. But that's just me.
(better to go with a scripting language, such as Ruby or Python ?
and it avoids having to unlearn things picked up from Pascal...)

But I learned Pascal in school, and Ada in university. Hated both. :)
I think you need to learn at least three languages. Preferrably more.

--anders

PS.

#!/bin/sh
echo "Hello, World!"