D vs Java

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Tue Mar 21 04:23:41 PST 2006

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:38:53 +1100, Georg Wrede <georg.wrede at nospam.org>
> wrote:
>

>> The 5 years I taught CS made me a firm believer in how immensely
>> important the choice of the first language to teach really is. The
>> things in that language stick with you for the rest of your life, no
>> matter how many others you learn after it.
>
> I must be doomed then ... my first was COBOL ;-)
>
> And then I learnt PL/I, Autocoder, IBM-360 Assembler, Pascal, C, BASIC,
> Forth, dBASEII, ...
>
> --Derek Parnell
> Melbourne, Australia

That really is a litany of woe. I'm impressed.
: OVER  SWAP DUP ROT SWAP ;

Georg is right. For me it was
Z-80 (programmed in hex), BASIC, 6502 asm, Forth, Pascal, x86 asm, C,
C++, FORTRAN, LISP, SQL...
and I'm still a Z-80 programmer at heart. I still remember a frightening
number of the opcodes. C++ was the only other language I actually liked,
until D came along.