D vs Java

David Medlock noone at nowhere.com
Tue Mar 21 05:00:02 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:

> Walter Bright wrote:
>

>> The presenter confidently predicted that in 10 years, Java will
>> outperform C in the general case. Color me skeptical.
>

> The number of languages "faster than C", either "now" or "real soon now"
> that I've heard at various venues, is more than one hand's fingers.
>
> Somehow I share your skepticism.

In business, faster is relative believe it or not.

If I have an Application which is 30% too slow I can either pay
programmers 2 weeks x 2 programmers(40/hr) =  6400$ to optimize it...

or I can spend $6400 extra on my hardware to run it(A good AMD64 server
from SUN is around this range), and put the developers on other tasks.

I think concurrency is really coming into its own in the coming years:
we need ways to easily leverage hardware effectively.

A good read on the subject:
http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce-osdi04.pdf

-DavidM