D vs Java

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Tue Mar 21 07:31:18 PST 2006

Free Software uses a different business model - I should know, I used to
be quite involved with it.  The idea is to make money from the service,
not from the product.

In other words, instead of charging $80 per license and spending huge
amuonts on piracy prevention and litigation, give it away for free.  If
your software is worth using, you'll have ten or a hundred times as many
users.

Then, you charge for support - say, $50 a year.  This seems more fair.
Other people cannot pirate service.  There's much less legal (but it's
always still there.)  People keep paying, even if they stay with older
versions.

Search Google for "Why free is better".  It's down at the fifth result
now unless you use quotes, but you can read more of the idea there.

So, I have to respectfully disagree.

-[Unknown]