D vs Java

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Mar 21 11:39:37 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:

> Essentially, I learned that if you are supporting an application, and you
> need to be in control of your support costs, you have to be able to control
> the generation of the executable. That's impossible with a VM.

Very interesting point.

> But also, really, what is the difference between relying on a JIT compiler
> for each platform, and a native compiler for each platform? Why should the
> JIT compiler be more reliable? There's no technical reason it should be. If
> the language has portable semantics, and the compilers implement those
> semantics correctly, it should be write once, run everywhere. There's no
> technical reason a VM is required to make that happen.

There is no difference :-)  The only reason a VM was attractive is
because it allowed applets to run in a sandbox.  And since Java applets
failed as a technology, there's no real reason to consider default VM
support as an advantage.  Others are also quick to point out that
there's no reason C++ or D couldn't run on a VM as well, as .NET has proven.

Sean