D vs Java

Def Def_member at pathlink.com
Tue Mar 21 13:48:00 PST 2006

In article <dvpq5q$1be1$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Matthias Spycher says...

>1. A dynamic compiler knows about the architecture of the machine, e.g.
>cache sizes; and the profile of the running application, e.g. I/O
>boundedness. The data path is likely to be the main bottleneck in coming
>years.

As I see it, there's no technical reason why a static compiler couldn't do the
same with run-time checks for different CPU versions, cache sizes, current
system load, etc. and invoking different code versions accordingly. To prevent
bloat such alternative code sections could even be loaded dynamically into RAM.
It's just that it is a whole lot of work to implement such a compiler.
But I'm sure Walter is already working on this... ;-)

Def