Language names, goals, and other lofty ideals

kris foo at bar.com
Tue Mar 21 20:01:00 PST 2006

Leading on from the Mascot and D/Java topics, I went hunting for this
quote from Don Knuth:

"The most important thing in the programming language is the name. A
language will not succeed without a good name. I have recently invented
a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language." -- D. E.
Knuth

Wonder if he had the name "Dude" in mind? <g>

Along the way, I stumbled upon one of PG's essays that looked
interesting enough to pass along. It has some thoughts on what makes a
language popular: http://www.paulgraham.com/popular.html