D vs Java [OT:Gentoo]

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Wed Mar 22 05:57:08 PST 2006

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
>> Gentoo is too "LFS"? Well, it's already possible to install Gentoo with
>> a graphical installer, genkernel eliminates the need to hack with the
>> kernel and package management / USE-flag editing do both have graphical
>> frontends. The only problem is that there's no handy way to install
>> up-to-date prebuilt binary packages compiled with custom use-flags and
>> cflags. Debian/Slackware/Arch aren't really much "higher level".
>
> I like Gentoo a lot, it sort of reminds me of FreeBSD which I also like.
> Found that doing a Gentoo install was well documented but very hands-on.
>
> Just that marketing forces has me running distros originating from R.H.
> And I still think that Ubuntu and Linspire are less scary for "users" ?

I also think they have very good features for easy tasks. Still I prefer
community-based distros for everyday hacking and developing
bleeding-edge software.

> So while I still have Gentoo installed, I don't really use it much :-(
> But maybe I should take another look at 2006.0, it looks much improved.

Maybe.

>> I'm using Arch myself on slower PCs since portage is currently a bit
>  > too "heavy".
>
> Yeah, sounds like "typical Python" :-) But I have never seen Arch Linux.
> Sounds like a nice inbetween of Slack and Gentoo, but I might be wrong ?

Portage really needs a rewrite from scratch. Maybe some CPU-intensive
parts of it could be written in D! :)

Yes, Arch is a lightweight distro for experienced users. Much less
features, packages and configuration scripts included, but it's fast,
and "easy" to install and update. A good alternative for people who like
Gentoo and ports-like package management, but don't want to spend all
day compiling source packages.

--
Jari-Matti