D vs Java

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Wed Mar 22 10:17:15 PST 2006

"Roberto Mariottini" <Roberto_member at pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dvr4c1$4de$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> This is something I was afraid of, at the beginnin of my work with Java.
> In the
> end, after 10 years, I can say it never applied to Java.
> I don't exclude that in the Java VM design there's something that ease the
> verification of the VM correctness, giving always high quality VMs. And I
> don't
> use only Sun's JVM. The fact that you have to pass a lot of test by Sun
> before
> you can use the word "Java" for your VM maybe means something.

Sun has worked hard at solving this problem by providing a comprehensive
test suite. I think they've been reasonably successful at doing that,
although I regularly read that people still have to tweak for various VM's.

But once again, this is *not* an inherent charactistic of VM's. If, for
example, one had a comprehensive compiler test suite for various platforms,
and one prevented calling any that didn't pass it a "D compiler", one could
do just as well.