Slogan/catchphrase for D?

kris foo at bar.com
Wed Mar 22 11:42:42 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> "kris" <foo at bar.com> wrote in message news:dvra93$cdi$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>
>>Not to be a party-pooper, but I got the impression that catchphrases are a
>>bit 80's? Does anyone buy into that type of pitch anymore?
>>I mean, when was the last time you swallowed a line like "Power,
>>Performance, Productivity" from an eager and straight-faced salesperson?
>

> That's not a good catchphrase. But when you've got a few seconds to make a
> first impression before they turn the page, a good one helps.

In terms of print, there's a number of ways to do that. A catch-phrase
is one, but requires parsing and semantic analysis (brain time). Catchy
names are apparently processed in a related but much less immediately
taxing fashion; akin to facial recognition? Even if we don't "get it",
there's often enough interest to turn the page back over ~ just like
when you see a face you almost recognise, and a whole lot of dedicated
effort goes into resolving that ~ sometimes for days <g>

An interesting logo, or anything pictorial that stands out from the
background (such as a comic strip) are apparently much more noticable
than catch-phrases. That's hardly surprising given that our predator
eyes excel at isolating 'interest' from vast quantities of background noise.

2 cents

p.s. I guess you didn't care much for "Get it on!" and "Amber" then? :)