The VII PPPR (Pending Peeves Progress Review)

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Mar 22 12:00:11 PST 2006

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>>>
>>> And the issue of translating the Windows API headers has cropped up
>>> again.  There have been a number of efforts to do this, but they all
>>> have their imperfections as far as I can tell.  I've started another
>>> effort that'll hopefully be the best of them all....
>>>
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D.announce/3194
>>
>> For Windows headers to be included in a standard library distribution,
>> they *must* be based on public domain header files.  As much as I'd
>> love improved Windows functionality, I won't include headers in Ares
>> that violate the MS copyright, and I think Walter feels the same for
>> Phobos.
>
> I heard Don the first time.  That's why I stated in that thread that
> anyone is more than welcome to use MinGW or similar to contribute to my
> effort.
>
> I still don't get the whole M$ copyright issue.  It's as if M$ was
> trying to stop anybody from programming in anything but C(++).

I agree that it's completely silly, but we must assume that it could
happen.  I'm certainly not willing to pay the legal fees to fight MS in
court, and neither do I want to be forced to strip modules out of the
library later on and possibly be forced to take production code offline
until a suitable replacement could be found.

Sean