Slogan/catchphrase for D?

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 12:06:39 PST 2006

kris wrote:
> pragma wrote:
>> In article <dvs2bl$18bo$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
>>

>>> "kris" <foo at bar.com> wrote in message
>>> news:dvra93$cdi$1 at digitaldaemon.com...

>>> That's not a good catchphrase. But when you've got a few seconds to
>>> make a first impression before they turn the page, a good one helps.
>>

>> How about: D - Work smarter, not harder.
>

> Or "Dude! Work smarter, not harder" :)
>
> Jesting aside; wouldn't it be a good idea to identify the target
> audience for this kind of message? Is it this group? Perhaps the Hackers
> noted by Paul Graham? Or management? Java programmers? C# developers? Who?
>
> One of the fundamental rules of marketing is to identify (and know) your
> market. It's also rumoured that engineers make piss-poor marketers ~ too
> honest and/or pragmatic.

If we throw enough catch phrases out... maybe we'll capture all markets!
< big toothy grin >.

Although, I'm curious to know what kind of market "Dude" will attract.
What happens when you cross a nerd with a hipster: do you get a game
developer? :)

I once came across a comic that showed two kids discussing a topic in
great earnest, skateboards in hand. It went something like this:

kid #1:  Dude...
kid #2:  Dude!

kid #1:  Dude?
kid #2:  Duuuuude...

kid #1:  Duh uuude
kid #2:  Duu -ude

kid #1:  dude.
kid #2:  dude.

Translation (can't remember the original so I've taken some license here):

kid #1:  Greetings, my dear friend...
kid #2:  Salutations to you, sir!

kid #1:  Have you made any progress with our prior expatiation of the
metaphysical implications of moral order?

kid #2:  Affirmative, I have deduced that rather than remonstrating a
salient conclusion, we have but managed to coalesce a protuberancy of
words and meaning: in short, it was a complete tautology.

kid #1:  I utterly and completely agree -- your perspicuousness in the
matter, at least, is indisputable.
kid #2: You are most kind; yet my sagacity is but a reflection of your
own circumspection.

kid #1: I must go now; we shall meet again.
kid #2: Most indubitably; adieu to you, sir.

:)

-JJR