Debugger

Todor Totev umbra.tenebris at list.ru
Wed Mar 22 23:56:47 PST 2006

Last project I had to write is a windows service with one single purpose
in life -
to craft some resources and immediatelly give them to a device driver.
Excuse me but how I am supposed to track the problems with a driver that
even does not yet exists with unit testing?
The problem is that unit testing can give you information about the fact
that
a problem exists. But it didn't give you the state of the programs
(yes, plural case) that caused the problems!
And of cource unit testing as good as the cases you put in it.
Besides that project was quite easy to implement in C++ - I included a
header
that gives me a infrastructure for writing Windows swervices, included a
header
that gives me a nice wrapper for thread controlling and I wrote it in less
than 20 minutes. I wandered how much time will I need to write all this in
D.
The D problem other than lack of debugger is that I immediatelly lose all
that
nice C++ libraries I use everyday and thus I'm set back about 27 man-years.
Not a very exciting proposition for me. Actually for me is quicker to use
C++
than to write/test/debug/document all that supporting code in D and after
that
start writing something that solves the problem at hand.
Regards,
Todor