D vs Java

James Dunne james.jdunne at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 07:35:57 PST 2006

Matthias Spycher wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>>> 2. Languages like Java have the advantage that they don't expose the
>>> actual layout of objects in memory to the programmer. Any language
>>> with pointers has a disadvantage in the context of dynamic optimization.
>>>

>> If you're talking about the famous "pointer alias problem" then Java is
>> certainly not immune to that (maybe even less so because of all of the
>> references floating around).
>>

> True, but accurate garbage collection is a requirement if you're going
> to scale to support large, long-running applications. C-pointer
> functionality eliminates the potential. The D community might (in the
> future) consider the introduction of a managed D subset that would make
> accurate GC possible.
>
> [snip]
>
> Matthias

Garbage collection is absolutely not a requirement of scaling to support
large, long-running applications.  Take a look at Apache and Subversion
for their use of memory pools (both use the APR).

However, If your point was to show 'accurate' garbage collection as a
requirement over 'conservative' collection, then yes I agree. :)

--

James Dunne