D vs Java

Lucas Goss lgoss007 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 08:23:45 PST 2006

Hasan Aljudy wrote:
> Do you know what Valve did with their games? (Half-Life/Half-Life2)
>
> They released the source to the game engine (*not* the graphics engine,
> only the game logic, which by the way, is huge), and allowed hobyists to
> modify it and distribute their modifications (aka Mods). That's how
> Counter-Strike was born.

Ah yes. I knew about the Half-Life mod stuff, but never actually used it
myself. But I believe it is similar to Tribes, now the Torque engine
made by GarageGames which I've used a little. It's basically an engine
done in C/C++ with many of the functions available through a scripting
language. The biggest problem with those engines though is that they are
very geared towards FPS games/style. But yes, that could be another way
to do it.