DMD v1.0 (again)

Kyle Furlong kylefurlong at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 16:20:37 PST 2006

Don Clugston wrote:
> Kyle Furlong wrote:
>> Why don't we try and be definitive about what needs to get done before
>> a 1.0 release? Walter may contribute his list as well. (this is really
>> what I'm looking for) <g>
>
> Not much more for the language, I reckon. Anything that will break code.
> * AFAIK, the only new feature that needs to be done is the change to
> RAII syntax.
> * Rounding out a few of the recent features, especially IFTI.
> * Deprecate all undesirable features. I hope that this includes implicit
> declaration of printf, and reckless use of the comma operator.
> * No bugs in bugzilla of 'normal' or higher severity.
>
> (In practice, I'm now finding the biggest annoyance with the compiler is
> the way it dumps reams of incorrect error messages when it encounters a
> template any time after the first error).
>
> Of course, the library's a different story...

I think the template error thing will be a deal breaker for C++ template types. Heres a senario:

C++ guy reads about D v1.0 with cool new template system on /.

C++ guy gets D v1.0 compiler (without template error messages fixed)

C++ guy ports his sweet (so he thinks) template code to D

C++ guy compiles... and WTF?!?! REAMS OF OUTPUT, from a simple noobie error

C++ guy leaves D forever