B# language for embedded development.

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Mar 24 07:57:29 PST 2006

James Dunne wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Bee Sharp wrote:
>>
>>> Excelent article about a new language targeted to embedded development.
>>>
>>> http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=183700818
>>>
>>> "The B# language includes efficient boxing/ unboxing conversions, field
>>> properties, device addressing registers, interrupt handlers,
>>> deterministic
>>> memory defragmenter, and multi-threading capabilities."
>>

>> Why not just call it C-flat?
>
> Well, B# is technically equivalent to the C note...
>
> C-flat would therefore just be B.

Ah well, I tried :-p

In all seriousness, the language seems decent but I didn't see any
features it offered over D.  It mostly seems like a very stipped down
version of C#, and while it may or may not be ideal for embedded
programming, I can't think of a reason I'd like to use it outside that
arena.  I did also thing it was weird that they placed so much
importance on boxing and unboxing that they maintain runtime type flags
for *all* variables simply to make the process more efficient.  For a
system that's short on memory, is such a per-variable overhead actually
desirable?  And how does it affect struct layout?  Classes are nice, but
B#, while lean on features, seems like it could be a bit bloated and
slow on low-end embedded machines.

Sean