Language names, goals, and other lofty ideals

Bruno Medeiros daiphoenixNO at SPAMlycos.com
Sun Mar 26 04:20:25 PST 2006

Hasan Aljudy wrote:

>> Along the way, I stumbled upon one of PG's essays that looked
>> interesting enough to pass along. It has some thoughts on what makes a
>> language popular: http://www.paulgraham.com/popular.html
>>
> Oh my GOD! That article should be called "how to create a lousy language"!
> He starts with the premise that the language should suit hackers, and
> goes on to say how the language should be used for writing kludge!! (see
> "section" 5: Throwaway Programs).

Funny thing. He says:
"A good programming language should have features that make the kind of
people who use the phrase "software engineering" shake their heads
disapprovingly."
I am totally one of those people. For me a good language is one for
software engineering and software development, and not for "hacking".
"hacking, as in "a language for hackers", is the term that makes me
shake my head disapprovingly.
This means that, in this regard at least, the opposing sides are well
defined, and Paul Graham does have a clear understanding of what those are.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student