All this talk about 1.0 makes me worried.

Bruno Medeiros daiphoenixNO at SPAMlycos.com
Sun Mar 26 14:14:23 PST 2006

All this talk about 1.0 (and other stuff like slogans) makes me worried.
People talk as if D nearing completion: There is occasionally threads
about the coming or even requesting the release of 1.0; In a recent
post(news://news.digitalmars.com:119/dvuc0r$19t3$1@digitaldaemon.com)
Don Clugston comments that what's left for 1.0 is "Not much more" and
enumerates just a few items remaining; Other people also don't mention
much more items; And we have people finding slogans for D mentioning
about it's uber greatness and simplicity and whatnot; ...

Am I the only one to find that (even besides the library) there is still
a long way for D to go? And I'm talking about the language itself: it's
design and not the tools and other stuff from the environment.
I have a list (mirrored in my wiki entry) of pending languages issues
which I or others have reported/posted about, most of them acknowledged
issues/problems by the core of the NG.
A recent thread by Oskar Linde
(news://news.digitalmars.com:119/e00v0m$te2$3@digitaldaemon.com)
brings to attention another issue about associative arrays, which I too
find important, and which I think are not the only issues regarding
arrays in general.
Many similar threads exists, (most of them I believe with not very good
ideas), but some others are very pertinent.
And there is a list of more issues about D that I have pending in my
mind which I haven't yet the time to "research" and write about (which
is the case for example of the immutability issue, want to finish
reading that pdf about Javari).

So in my opinion there is a lot of work to be done in D, and I'm not
gonna bother thinking about 1.0 or even slogans until these are (at
least mostly) resolved. Don't get me wrong, I already think D is a great
language, and much better than C++ (not that hard to be though.. ), but
much of D's greatness is still in potential only.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student