All this talk about 1.0 makes me worried.

kris foo at bar.com
Mon Mar 27 11:01:35 PST 2006

Charles wrote:
>  > I suppose many people like the idea of placing a stake in the ground ~
>  > as means of marking/stamping progress?
>
> I know of alot of people ( myself partially included ) that are waiting
> for a D 1.0 untill they really commit to using D.  Untill it reaches a
> 1.0 ( which feels like never -- in which case if it is going to take
> another year or greater we should be talking about how to handle and
> work with a perpetually changing language - id be curious to know how
> often you have to update mango in response new DMD releases )

There was a bit of turmoil back when it started (~March 2004), but after
that? Hmmm ... discovering that AA's were broken caused some
re-engineering; the "length" pseudo-keyword issue caused some more. Then
there was quite a bit of effort to cleanup using -w. The char, wchar,
dchar support could not really have been done until templates came
along, so that doesn't really count, I suppose? Mango has always used
'bool' instead of 'bit', so that wasn't an issue. To be honest, I think
internal redesign has caused more changes than language evolution.

> i doubt
> 'corporations' would even consider using it.  Even post D 1.0 is going
> to take a big effort from the community to get D in the mainstream.

Very true. However, those same corporations likely won't consider D
until library support is notably better? I've always felt that would be
the sticking point, and that Phobos was a bit thin for that purpose.
This leads me to conclude thusly:

D will not be ready for commercial usage until the availability of
libraries reaches some critical mass. Who is going to write those
libraries? My guess would be the the early adopters? So, why is it that
there's perhaps only a few handfuls of people who are prepared to make
that happen? Don't wish to be critical of anyone, or start wagging any
fingers, but surely those calling for a v1.0 should be equally
determined to construct the libraries?

- Kris