j2d - translating Java to D with the language machine

Peri Hankey mpah at thegreen.co.uk
Mon Mar 27 15:42:57 PST 2006

Hello

Following an exchange of emails with Brad Anderson I have adapted my
d-to-d translator to translate from java to D. It's at a very early
stage (I started a couple of days ago). It seems to me that the first
thing to do is to apply it to the gnu classpath sources.

Results so far:

               j2d ok? gdc syntax ok? gdc compile?  source lines
   java.lang   y       y              n             33871
   java.util   y       y              n             56636
   java.io     y       y              n             23187

This is quick and dirty so far: the code is probably wrong in many
places, and mapping java classes and run-time class information may be
tricky - I'm sure many of you will have already thought about this. At
present compilation fails because modules are not being found, but when
they are found there will be a different crop of incompatible
this-that-the-other errors. Also the java.lang modules need to be
automatically included.

So there is a great deal to do. The sources (about 700 rules, 1100
lines) are in SVN at dsource - it's easiest to start at

    http://languagemachine.sourceforge.net/j2d.html

and follow the link. I am developing on Linux, and this is definitely a
project that needs shared libraries. The easiest way to join the chase
is to use:

* the language machine (required)
* gdc (0.17) - for shared libraries on Linux
* gnu make - (or roll your own build tools)
* gnu classpath sources: http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/

Suggestions, feedback, assistance all welcome.

Peri

Peri Hankey                               mpah at thegreen.co.uk
http://languagemachine.sourceforge.net - The language machine