Proposal: Operator overloading without temporaries

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Tue Mar 28 23:34:01 PST 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> I don't have enough experience to know what might work here, but it
> would be great if an alternative to expression templates could be devised.

I believe people should not be overly afraid of expression templates. In
C++ they are ugly because the whole template system is ugly. In
principle they are a tremendously powerful concept that should
definitely be supported in D as well as possible.

When I say that there should be support for array expressions that does
not rely on expression templates, that is only because I believe that
arrays are crucial enough for the language to justify this special
treatment.