Windows woes

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.nospamm.com
Wed Mar 29 00:57:14 PST 2006

A few days ago, Outlook Express starting acting flaky - my account names
were forcibly converted to 1, 2, 3, etc., and retyping in the correct ones
refused to stick. Then, windows update started failing with useless messages
consisting of 8 digit hex numbers.

So I thought I'd try Microsoft update tech support (which is free for update
failures). They asked me to send them logs, which I did. Then, came an
endless series of "try this ...", which usually involved unregistering a
dozen dlls, rebooting, starting/stopping services, reregistering them,
renaming system files, booting in safe mode, wiping directories, deleting
files, rebooting, rebooting, all to no avail (except the 8 digit hex number
would change).

Then came the exhortation to run a virus scan, with a couple links. The
symantec virus scan crashed after a half hour. The other one completed, and
found nothing.

At this point, it was apparent that tech support had no idea why this was
happening, and I was beginning to worry there was either a rootkit
installed, or there was just creeping corruption going on. I gave up on
Microsoft tech support, and decided to reinstall Windows.

Do you know it takes THREE HOURS to install Windows from scratch? Gads, you
install XP from the CD which requires rebooting several times, then again
from the XP SP2 update CD (rebooting n more times), then you log in to
Windows update and update/reboot 4 or 5 more times. Why can't Windows Update
download everything at once and reboot only once?

So now I've got Windows reinstalled. Now comes the dance of reinstalling
everything else. The worst is, of course, Outlook Express which completely
loses track of everything after a reinstall. I have a crib sheet of most of
the settings, but even so, there's no way to restore which newsgroup files
are read/unread. I also use the undocumented method of finding which
gawdawful directory O.E. squirrels the files away in (all in deeply nested
hidden directories with 80+ character tty noise filenames) and
saving/restoring the dbx files manually.

Most of the other apps aren't too bad, if you were smart enough to keep a
crib sheet of all the serial numbers, registration numbers, and funky
passwords. The whole job takes about 12 hours.

Morals of the story:

1) Keep a crib sheet of all the settings, passwords, serial numbers,
registration follderalls, etc.

2) If you're going to provide an update program, fer cryin out loud, make it
a monolithic program that doesn't depend on everything else in the OS
working perfectly. After all, when you need it, it's probably because the
rest of the system isn't right. And if the update program itself is
corrupted, then tech support can just send you a new one.

3) If you're writing an app, don't require it to be reinstalled if Windows
is reinstalled. DM programs don't need to be. Store your configuration in
some text file that can be saved/restored. Please!

4) If you're going to need to muck about with the system registry, do it
like Quicken does. Quicken has a menu item "Backup" which, amazingly enough,
backs up all its settings and crud to a file you specify. Then, I reinstall
Quicken from the CD, hit "Restore" and give the file name, and it fixes
itself. Quicken is full of horrible design choices, but at least they got
that right. No other app I've used does that.

5) Never, ever install anything with DRM on it on your work computer. DRM
often involves rootkits, installing new drivers that destabilize your
system, etc. This includes most game software. Use a separate computer for
DRM, one that you won't mind regularly reinstalling Windows on.

There, I feel better now <g>.