Windows woes

Tom Tom_member at pathlink.com
Wed Mar 29 07:18:24 PST 2006

I used to work as a computer technician and have PLENTY hundreds of hours (or
thousands of them maybe) making backups, restoring program settings, saving mail
data from Outlook Shit-Express and others, cleaning
viruses/trojans/spyware/adware, configuring network and reinstalling/tuning
Windows 95/98/2000/XP (of weak users that broke their systems in a week/month
basis). It's the worst crap you can ever do and I hate the job, though I made
pretty much cash with it. I agree, the registry is the worst design decision
I've ever seen.

Linux is a beautiful system (and also is FreeBSD) but they both have their
problems such as for example: they're hard to configure, they lack drivers, they
lack applications for some professional enviroments (eg. autocad, 3dsmax, games,

many others), they are TOO complicated for regular people, without an Internet
connection they're hard to learn, etc.

The morals of the story: computers ARE NOT for everybody yet now in the 2006,
even with dumb-oriented systems as Windows XP. You choose with which harshness
you want to live with when choosing an OS depending on the time you have and the
tasks you'll be performing on the system.

What Walter has been through is something every Windows user has to pass once in
a while, a pain in the ass.

In article <e0dtb1$2mld$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Juan Jose Comellas says...

>At some point in the past, the only way to be able to be certified
>"Windows-logo compatible" was if you used the registry to save your
>program's settings. I guess they wanted to make it really difficult to
>switch computers without reinstalling. The registry is probably the worst
>abomination to come from Redmond and it's the cause of most of the problems
>Windows has.
>

>Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> A few days ago, Outlook Express starting acting flaky - my account names
>> were forcibly converted to 1, 2, 3, etc., and retyping in the correct ones
>> refused to stick. Then, windows update started failing with useless
>> messages consisting of 8 digit hex numbers.
>>
>> So I thought I'd try Microsoft update tech support (which is free for
>> update failures). They asked me to send them logs, which I did. Then, came
>> an endless series of "try this ...", which usually involved unregistering
>> a dozen dlls, rebooting, starting/stopping services, reregistering them,
>> renaming system files, booting in safe mode, wiping directories, deleting
>> files, rebooting, rebooting, all to no avail (except the 8 digit hex
>> number would change).
>>
>> Then came the exhortation to run a virus scan, with a couple links. The
>> symantec virus scan crashed after a half hour. The other one completed,
>> and found nothing.
>>
>> At this point, it was apparent that tech support had no idea why this was
>> happening, and I was beginning to worry there was either a rootkit
>> installed, or there was just creeping corruption going on. I gave up on
>> Microsoft tech support, and decided to reinstall Windows.
>>
>> Do you know it takes THREE HOURS to install Windows from scratch? Gads,
>> you install XP from the CD which requires rebooting several times, then
>> again from the XP SP2 update CD (rebooting n more times), then you log in
>> to Windows update and update/reboot 4 or 5 more times. Why can't Windows
>> Update download everything at once and reboot only once?
>>
>> So now I've got Windows reinstalled. Now comes the dance of reinstalling
>> everything else. The worst is, of course, Outlook Express which completely
>> loses track of everything after a reinstall. I have a crib sheet of most
>> of the settings, but even so, there's no way to restore which newsgroup
>> files are read/unread. I also use the undocumented method of finding which
>> gawdawful directory O.E. squirrels the files away in (all in deeply nested
>> hidden directories with 80+ character tty noise filenames) and
>> saving/restoring the dbx files manually.
>>
>> Most of the other apps aren't too bad, if you were smart enough to keep a
>> crib sheet of all the serial numbers, registration numbers, and funky
>> passwords. The whole job takes about 12 hours.
>>
>> Morals of the story:
>>
>> 1) Keep a crib sheet of all the settings, passwords, serial numbers,
>> registration follderalls, etc.
>>
>> 2) If you're going to provide an update program, fer cryin out loud, make
> [...]

Tom;