Windows woes

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Wed Mar 29 09:13:01 PST 2006

In article <e0e94k$41o$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Lars Ivar Igesund says...

>pragma wrote:
>>
>> Also, linux is not without its warts too.  I'm having a hell of a time
>> trying to get it to support Nforce3 from a floppy install - AFAIK, it
>> can't be done w/o some serious hacking or using a CD instead.
>>
>> - EricAnderton at yahoo
>
>That is more of a case of nVidia sending out cease and desist orders to
>those trying to create open drivers. Instead you have to use their binary
>blob that's usually less stable (and definately harder to debug for the
>communities.)

Ahh, hence why the "forcedeth" for Nforce3 (the netboot driver disk has it for
Nforce2) seems strangely absent from things.  And I thought they simply turned
their heads while it was being developed?

I tried mucking around with that download, but it looked like it wanted to build
a new kernel, rather than just spit out a module to use.  I found that quite
odd.

- EricAnderton at yahoo