Windows woes

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Wed Mar 29 10:47:20 PST 2006

Juan Jose Comellas wrote:
> At some point in the past, the only way to be able to be certified
> "Windows-logo compatible" was if you used the registry to save your
> program's settings. I guess they wanted to make it really difficult to
> switch computers without reinstalling. The registry is probably the worst
> abomination to come from Redmond and it's the cause of most of the problems
> Windows has.

The registry problem also prevents me from upgrading to new versions of
Windows. Microsoft complains that a lot of people refuse to upgrade
Windows, but this is a big reason why. After all, if you've been running
for years and you've lost your original install CDs or the registration
code, you'll *lose* your apps when you upgrade.