Thunderbird ain't perfect, either

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Wed Mar 29 11:14:23 PST 2006

So, having been hosed by O.E. at least 4 times whenever I either
upgraded the OS or had to reinstall it, I decided to bite the bullet and
install Thunderbird. There's good, there's bad:

The good:

1) It's free.
2) It's look and feel is familiar, little new to learn here.
3) The message database is in plaintext. I am very uneasy having
critical data to my business in a secret, undocumented format. What if
those files get corrupted? What if Microsoft end-of-lifed support for
it? Poof!
4) Spell checker. Gotta pay extra for a 3rd party spell checker for O.E.
5) Seems to get the unread message count right. O.E. always gets this wrong.

The bad:

1) No way to backup/restore the data. It's about as bad as O.E. here.
C'mon, Tbird developers, how hard can this be? I want a simple way to
back up EVERYTHING to a CD or another drive, and then restore it.
2) Buggy import from O.E. messages - it sometimes inexplicably gets the
dates all screwed up, resulting in messages having been received in year
2101, or year 1965.
3) Search is essentially useless, still have to use X1.

So far I've only used Tbird for an hour or so.