Thunderbird ain't perfect, either

Unknown W. Brackets Unknown_member at pathlink.com
Wed Mar 29 14:31:29 PST 2006

I have to admit, I have had my problems with Thunderbird as well.

That said, it's all open source and I've done quite a lot of hacking when I want
something changed.  XUL isn't hard to learn, and I really thing that's a big
benfit over Outlook/similar - for simple changes.

I make backups often.  I've also had to restore them.  It's tar cW %profile_dir%
| bzip2 -7 > backup.tar.bz2, plain and simple.  But, I agree; a built in backup
feature really would be nice.  It probably wouldn't be too hard to write an
extension to make one.

I imported my messages from Outlook 2003.  Had to strangle it a bit, but got it
to work sufficiently.  The Received dates are all wrong, but I use the Date
column instead and it seems to be fine.  I'm not sure how that compares with
Outlook Express.

There are two methods of search; the quick one at the top right, and the other
from Tools.  I find the quick one is mostly all I need for common searches.  I
don't recall Outlook having much better search functionality.

Anyway, just to warn you, the major problem I've had with it is that as your
mailboxes grow, sometimes it doesn't work as well as you'd like.  I've had to
manually compact folders and restart Thunderbird on many occasions.  It's rather
annoying.  Luckily this doesn't affect newsgroups.

Still, I prefer it to Outlook by far... and I prefer Outlook to Outlook Express
by a similar margin.

-[Unknown]

In article <e0emae$mfq$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...