D Tokens

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 20:52:29 PST 2006

"Markus" <Markus_member at pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:e0fj9n$1d41$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> My question is this:
> How do you name those characters (delimiters, operators or somehow else)?

I don't know Ada, but do you mean things like braces and semicolons ({, },
;)?  I wrote a C-style scripting language parser thing, and I called those
"particles."  This is to parallel the use of particles in Japanese, which do
not have any inherent meaning, but which simply define the grammatical
structure of the sentence.  In the same way, braces and semicolons simply
describe the structure of the program, and really only have meaning to the
compiler and aren't directly represented in the final machine code which is
generated.