Windows woes

Fredrik Olsson peylow at treyst.se
Thu Mar 30 00:26:08 PST 2006

David L. Davis skrev:
> In article <e0dmeo$2cmk$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
>>
>> Do you know it takes THREE HOURS to install Windows from scratch? Gads, you
>> install XP from the CD which requires rebooting several times, then again
>>from the XP SP2 update CD (rebooting n more times), then you log in to
>> Windows update and update/reboot 4 or 5 more times. Why can't Windows Update
>> download everything at once and reboot only once?

>> Most of the other apps aren't too bad, if you were smart enough to keep a
>> crib sheet of all the serial numbers, registration numbers, and funky
>> passwords. The whole job takes about 12 hours.

> Yep! It's like someone else pointed out in another message, these things will
> happen once in a while to everyone. And even moving to another non-Windows OS
> won't save anyone from having to rebuild their OS from time to time. And giving
> up computers all together isn't an option...so "no pain, no gain." Plus Windows
> XP is the best version of Windows that Microsoft has ever put out. Well I'm glad
> to hear you're back up and running. :)

They will? My home computer I bought it in January 2002, came installed
with OS X 10.1. Since then I have not reinstalled once, unless you count
the upgrades to 10.2, then 10.3 and last spring to 10.4. I also upgraded
from 40gig hard drive to 120gig, but no reinstall, simply copied the
disk and kept running.

And I have tortured that poor installation :), tried about every app I
have crossed. I am curious by nature, and experience showed me I no
longer have to be afraid.

For Windows I must say that Windows 2000 is the best OS Microsoft have
put out there. Quite stable, and much more lean than XP, that always
caught me as a resource slurping Telletubies edition of Windows 2000. I
think there is a reason why Windows 2000 identifies itself as Window NT
5.0, and XP as NT 5.1...

// Fredrik